Monday, October 08, 2007

Dove

To be perfectly honest I'm quite torn about Dove.

On the one hand, I do love their campaigns, and I can't even begin to express how awesome it was seeing regularly sized women, regularly aged women, on tv for once.

That said, of course they are still a huge corporation, and have other brands which are terrible (Axe anyone?). And I'm of the personal belief that corporations like these are almost intrinsically evil...

And on another hand, my doctor always told me that for my sensitive skin, Dove really does just make the best products, especially their soap.

On the flip side of that, they still are promoting "anti-aging" anti-cellulite bullshit...

It seems like a double edged sword to me... Do we as feminists risk running these ads into the ground by criticizing them, and missing an opportunity for more real woman representation in advertising? Or do we endorse them and allow them to go uncriticized for the other aspects of their campaigns that aren't real woman friendly?

AND if we go the second route, what kind of line do we draw? Personally, I would like to age gracefully. We all know those women in our lives who have aged so, and I'd like to be one of them (of course, we all do, and Dove knows this, and uses that). I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with taking care of our bodies so we do (cleansing, moisturizing, eating well)... But how far do we push that until we're suddenly changing our bodies to prevent aging at all (nip/tucks, crash diets, collagen injections...)?

Bah... there's a lot going on here :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

whatsername reserves the right to delete your comment if you choose to act like an asshole, so please engage respectfully