Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Weekly Collection

The Recovering Homeless

excited to be freefalling into the unknown

Justice? Ohio Latino Teen Tied to Truck and Dragged in Hate Crime, Attacker Sentenced to 10 Days in Jail

Acupuncture is like Noodles: the Theory

Four things BDSM has taught me about being a good ally

let’s talk. (about ableism)

Why You 'Scurred' Of Me?

Another Look at Wicca in India

How Can Mami Movements Move Forward and be Resourced

Domestic Violence in the Queer Community

Police Taser Disabled Man Antonio Love for not Leaving the Bathroom

Baby taken away after mom refuses C-section

I.C.E. Breaking
Earlier this week a report was released by the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law stating that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E) violated their own standards and rules, as well as the U.S. Constitution when it came to raids on houses.
Inside Outside Part 1- All about me
This phenomena makes news kind of easy to take writing steps and paths that take us outside.

Let's speak about events as snippets that we can skim or miss, let's write more and more about populations we are not a part of , or frame the populations we are apart of as voiceless by not actually hearing from them.
The Melting Pot, Chapter 2009
To break the hatecode, reference the key set out by Lee Atwater in his famous quote on the “Southern Strategy”:
You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*gger, n*gger, n*gger.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*gger” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff. You’re getting so abstract now that you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is that blacks get hurt worse than whites.
And that’s how those types talk about it now, too. And these same types of minds are going about harming very specific portions of the population in the same ways.
your body as a listening tool
for example, how much is the way i perceive that you are listening to me shaped by ideas of neurotypicality? (love the tshirt that says “eye contact is overrated”). how do we deal with a situation where my communication style is legitimized and yours is not?
Reclaiming Femininity
Ironically, the most militant phase of my feminism may have driven the biggest wedge between myself and other women. Though on a theoretical level, solidarity between women was my biggest, most core belief, my continuing to shun feminine trappings such as makeup, form-fitting clothes and now shaving, alienated me from other women. I imagined that they (and everyone else) was judging me for rebelling against the expectations of my gender, and again had to convince myself that I was better, more evolved, in order to feel OK about my failure to meet these expectations.
pictures
there are almost no pictures of me now. and the pictures that do exist–i am fat.

the kids kept asking: is that what happens when you have kids?

it made me sort of sad, because I knew the truth–the skinny pictures of me? the skinny was a result of a partial starvation diet. I was too poor to afford food, so I stole little pieces of food here and there at the job I worked at.