Saturday, December 06, 2008

Canadian National Day of Rememberance

From Uppity Brown Woman:

Today is December 6th, otherwise known in Canada as the anniversary of the Montréal Massacre in 1989, or the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. This day consistently gets me angry with the way it is taken up by mainstream media and many feminists, and I don’t want to take a moment of silence. I want to take a moment of non-silence, of speaking out, of yelling, of non-complacency about many forms of violence against many people.

I take a moment for the 14 women killed by Marc Lépine, who was not a ‘madman’, but an anti-feminist/misogynist who knew exactly what he was doing.

I take a moment for the hundreds of missing and murdered Native women across Canada who are ignored every day by the police, government, mainstream media, and many feminists.

I take a moment for the trans people who face wide amounts of violence, are murdered, beaten, intimidated, because of their gender identities.

I take a moment for the disabled women facing violence because they are seen as helpless and easily controlled.

I take a moment for non-status women in Canada who face all sorts of violence, systemic and otherwise, but have no reprieve or support because they are considered ‘illegal.’

I take a moment for the queer women who face violence (PDF) because they are queer, or from their partners, and have little support available to them because partner violence is seen as mainly heterosexual.

I take a moment for homeless women, who encounter gendered violence because they are invisible and not ‘real’ women.

I take a moment for all the women who have been raped or sexually assaulted, and those who will never tell anyone, because they see it as their fault and responsibility.

I take a moment for the intersections of the above.

I take a moment for the people whose plight apparently isn’t enough to get a national day of remembrance from the State, and remember them today.

Also from Renee: Women of École Polytechnique we have not forgotten you.

I had never heard of this until today, so I pass my new knowledge on to you.